Build vs. Buy: Determining your Data Center Future
Start Time: 10/3/2016 12:00:00 PM
End Time: 10/3/2016 2:30:00 PM
Join Jeff Gilmer in a thought leading discussion regarding the changing landscape of the data center, do we build or do we buy? It seems like a never ending question and with the increasing number of potential solutions in the data center area, how do even begin to determine what is right for our organization. There are so many options related to the data center facilities, which can create a confusing situation for those who are faced with the decision on how to manage their data center environment. This workshop will focus on many of these options, and discuss the pros and cons of each.
Issues explored include:
Our Current Data Center
- How to determine when it makes sense to improve, upgrade and maintain our current facility?
- How do we deal with an aging data center?
- How to calculate when we will run into issues with our current facility?
- What is the actual cost of operation of our facility and what do we need to take into account?
Upgrading our Current Data Center
- What are the industry options for upgrading our outdated facility? How do we deal with increased demand?
- What are the critical factors to evaluate prior to making the decision to upgrade?
- When does it make sense not to upgrade?
- Is there a way to utilizing the data center facility without making upgrades?
- What really is a colocation service?
- What are the differences between colocation service providers?
- What you need to know before asking a colocation provider for a proposal?
- How long of a commitment should we expect to make with a colocation provider?
- Contracts, key points, risks, terms and expectations in negotiations.
Building a New Data Center
- How do I properly size my new data center?
- Is my company willing to make a long term financial commitment?
- What are all the categories we need to take into account when constructing a new facility?
- Learn about the key risks most companies miss in a new data center build.
- What are the real costs associated with the design and build of a new data center?
- What does cloud really mean and how does this impact my data center?
- Learn the differences between public, private and hybrid cloud solutions.
- Understand the criteria between Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- What is the process our organization needs through to move to a cloud solution?
1. Understand how to accurately assess an organization’s future data center strategy
2. Analyze options such as a long-term commitment to building a data center versus utilizing a current hosted facility
3. Learn how to adequately plan for data center capacity
4. Discuss common issues with consolidating servers, storage equipment and power needs and limitations